Data Center Network Engineer
“Data Center” AND (shifts OR platforms OR geographies) AND integration AND (Virtualization OR “Fabric Path” OR Blade OR GRID OR switching OR “Software Defined Networking” OR SDN) AND Nexus
Key Responsibilities & Professional Competencies
• Managing efforts related to the architectural design and engineering of converged data center infrastructure, network virtualization, segmentation, and automation of Data Center solutions and strategies.
• Working with line-of-business product teams to meet project requirement and acts as a trusted partner to provide solutions that fit their needs.
• Engaging in high severity production incidents and problem tickets in support of any data network redesign requirements.
• Adjusting designs to meet business-required levels of cost, reliability, and functionality. Able to understand, formulate, and communicate complex designs with other technology partners within the organization
• Assist in the training of junior associates
• Engaging program management and product engineering teams for process and application improvement opportunities
• Reviewing system documentation for accuracy and updates as necessary.
• Providing feedback to product teams as to the catalog of standard products, and business requirements for changes to the catalog
• Recommend modifications to infrastructure architecture to address specific capacity and/ or performance issues seen in the production environment.
• Working closely with cross functional architecture teams across multiple disciplines to gather and define network requirements to which network architectures will be required to meet.
• Perform proof of concept and pilot implementation for all next generation hardware / software platforms.
• Producing DC design and engineering standards documentation for all new design decisions for consumption by engineering, implementation, and operations teams
Professional Competencies (Must Haves)
• 10+ years of professional experience in information technology
• Architectural design experience with major networking, storage, compute and security vendors (Cisco, Arista,HP,Juniper, Dell, IBM, Dell, Brocade)
• Extensive knowledge and understanding of technologies/architectures including: DWDM, 10Gig media standards (optical and electrical), MPLS, TCP/IP protocol suite, Ethernet 1Gig/10Gig and emerging 40Gig/100Gig)
• Demonstrated knowledge/experience in multi-tiered data center networking with expert knowledge and experience in technology integration and network design
• Ability to work with others as a member of a team
• Works effectively in a complex environment (e.g. environment spanning multiple functions, shifts, platforms, geographies)
• Familiarity with storage and server virtualization technologies and dependencies to network infrastructure
• Demonstrated experience with Enterprise Data Center Architectures (Zone head end/end of row, top of rack, cluster designs, etc.)
• Knowledge of emerging SDN vendors, challenges and solutions
• Ability to work both independently and as a team member with personnel at all levels in the organizational hierarchy.
• Experience in data center facilities design (cabling standards, cabinet designs, power distribution design etc.)
• In-depth understanding of virtualized environments in several areas (compute, storage, and network) including automation.
• Must have deep knowledge working on Cisco DC switching equipment for (architecting or designing network solutions) and posses hands on configuration and troubleshooting skills.
• Must have clear understanding of current and upcoming trends in the data center networking area including: Virtualization, Fabric Path, Blade technologies, GRID computing, Low Latency switching, and Software Defined Networking (SDN).
• Have thorough understanding of Cisco’s switching/routing family of products and their functionality including: Nexus (7K, 5K, 3K, 2K), and Catalyst platforms.
• Building highly detailed test plans for platform and network feature certifications
• Must be adept at taking business requirements and mapping them to technical designs for implementation.
• Must be able to assist in resolution of complex issues during high pressure situations
• Must be able to communicate with a wide range of staff, from technology implementation through senior management levels
• Capable of quickly learning new technologies and procedures, as well as being willing to train others in procedures mastered as part of implementations
• Scripting/Automation/Programming Skills (PERL, Python, etc) a plus
• Virtualization technologies
• Familiarity with emerging Software Defined Network vendors and technology
Other Required Skills
• Excellent communications skills (oral and written)
• Excellent Project and Time Management skills
• MS/Word and MS/Excel
• Strong leadership skills
• Test tools, : Spirent, Ixia
• Excellent interpersonal skills, verbal and written communications skills and presentation skills
• Problem solving and analytical capabilities
• Cisco CCIE written completion
Salary Offered: Hourly rate on W2
Currency: U.S Dollars (USD)